ICCF Zambia supports and guides the Zambian Parliamentary Conservation Caucus (ZPCC) with sound information and economy-oriented solutions to Zambia’s natural resource management challenges. ICCF Zambia convenes leaders and innovators in business, conservation, and global development to collaborate with policymakers and provide sector-specific expertise that drives conservation through natural resources-based development strategies.
ICCF Zambia provides the ZPPC with timely, informative educational programs specifically geared to Members of Parliament demonstrate the importance of conservation to Zambia’s economic, social, and environmental interests, drive consensus and partnership in the conservation policy agenda, and highlight ongoing challenges and successful solutions to natural resource management challenges.
Building Political Will and Collaboration
- In 2012, The ICCF Group facilitated the launch of the ZPCC with support from senior Zambian policymakers and Zambia’s business leaders.
- In 2014, The ICCF Group convened a Zambia inter-ministerial summit to develop key recommendations for economic development and conservation reforms in all major natural resource sectors.
- In 2015, The ICCF Group facilitated the development and launch of the Zambia Parliamentary Caucus 5-Year Strategic Conservation Plan.
Driving Conservation Governance
- Wildlife Conservation and Combating Wildlife Crime: ICCF Zambia and the ZPCC catalyzed the passage of Zambia’s updated wildlife laws, and convened stakeholder workshops to review Zambia’s National Parks and Wildlife Policy to strengthen wildlife conservation practices and enforcement against wildlife crimes.
- Forestry Governance: ICCF Zambia provided technical assistance to the ZPCC to secure key conservation provisions in the passage of the Zambia Forests Act 2015.
- Strengthening Judiciary and Law Enforcement Sectors ICCF Zambia and partners are strengthening the capacity of judicial, prosecutorial, and other law enforcement officials to combat environmental crimes.
- Cross-Sector Investment in Sustainable Agriculture Development ICCF Zambia and the ZPCC are actively engaging Zambia’s corporations, NGOs, and development institutions to increase cross-sector collaboration and investment in conservation. In 2016, ICCF Zambia facilitated a briefing with Zambian Breweries and the ZPCC on business models for sustainable agricultural development. In June 2013, The ICCF Group and the ZPCC co-hosted Members of Parliament from Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, Namibia, and South Africa for a workshop on forest management and sustainable agricultural development with Zambian Cabinet ministers, non-governmental organizations, and private sector stakeholders.
Global & Inter-parliamentary Cooperation
- The ICCF Group facilitated Zambia’s engagement the historic 2014 Arusha Summit on Regional Conservation and Combating Wildlife/Environmental Crime.
- The ICCF Group hosted Members of the Zambian Parliament in Washington, D.C. with Members of Parliament and Senior Officials from Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and Malawi to engage with U.S. policymakers, international business leaders, and top conservation experts;
- The ICCF Group and the ZPCC co-hosted a regional inter-parliamentary workshop on caucus-building, cross-border natural resource governance, and combating wildlife/forest crime, with Members of Parliament from Botswana, Malawi, Namibia, and Zimbabwe.